For the Donating Family….
For the donor family, if you have remaining embryos stored in the freezer with your doctor, it can pose a dilemma. Perhaps you have your cherished child or children, and you have remaining embryos in the freezer.
Right now, you have four options for your remaining embryos including:
- Continue to keep them stored for a later transfer and future family building.
- Discard the embryos.
- Donate the embryos for embryonic stem cell research, if they are eligible.
- Donate the embryos to another family anonymously, or make them available to a family for embryo adoption where the family could be known to you on some level of contact.
The kind of contact between the families is decided by the donor family. Here are some basic types of contact through our program:
- Closed adoption. You would not know the first names of the family. You can still have a birth announcement. You can still find out if there was a born child, if you want to know.
- Semi-open adoption. You would know the adopting family by their first names only, and have communication facilitated through Embryo Adoption Services of Cedar Park. You would get birth announcement/photos etc.
- Open adoption. You be would know to each other on a first and last names, and be able to have contact with each other, on mutually agreed upon terms.
In general, you would give us some info about you and your embryos. We would look for a “match” for you in our files of prospective adopting families. We would send you a family profile to look at. Your embryos remain your embryos until we have sent you a family that you are comfortable with. We then send information about you to the adopting family based upon the kind of contact your desire. If the adopting family is satisfied, we then have a “match”. After matching and the paperwork is finalized, we move the embryos to the adopting family’s clinic, for them to transfer. This is just “the basics”. We would be glad to discuss the whole process with you in more detail. Feel free to contact us. We can also send you a complete information packet for you to look at.
For the Adopting family…
You are interested in having a child or children, and this seems like a great way to have a baby! You are right, this is a wonderful way to add to your family even if you already have children. While many couples that seek us out are not able to have children, this option is available to families with a child or children that would like to have more. We will handle all your paperwork, ship the embryos, and be the liaison between you and the donating family for life.
Here’s the process to adopt:
- Doctor’s Letter. We would have you get a letter from your doctor that you “have no contraindications to pregnancy”.
- Home Study. You would have a home study just like adopting a born child. We have social workers that can visit you in any state you live in.
- Photobook. We would have you make a photo book and family information to share with a prospective donating family.
- Matching. Once we have a match for you we would ship the embryos to your doctor’s clinic to be transferred to you. You would receive all the embryos that the donating family has, so that all the siblings may have a chance to be born in one household if at all possible. You are not responsible for any remaining embryos that may be still be remaining once you have the child or children you desire.
This is “just the basics” and we would be happy to talk with you on the phone or by email. We can send you a complete information packet with application and everything else you need to get started on your “journey” with embryo adoption.
Please enjoy our web site. We look forward to hearing from you to answer your questions! Don’t forget to also check out our FAQ tab.
Maria D. Lancaster
1-888-959-7712 (Toll Free)